Peanut Butter Chocolate Chunk Cookies
yield 1 dozen (these are BIG cookies)
- 1 1/4 cups white whole wheat flour
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbs corn starch
- 1/2 cup apple butter
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 3/4 cup turbinado sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup water (+ corn starch = egg replacement)
- 4 oz good quality dark chocolate, chopped into large chunks (I used a chili dark chocolate and an espresso dark chocolate, but any chocolate would be delicious)
- sea salt for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, and corn starch. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the apple butter, peanut butter, sugars, and vanilla until smooth. Add water, followed by flour mixture and beat thoroughly. Fold in chocolate chunks. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Use a large cookie scoop (or your hands) to drop dough onto prepared cookie sheet. Lightly sprinkle the top of dough with sea salt.
- Bake for 14-18 minutes until just golden. Do not overbake. Let cookies stand on sheet for 2-3 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.