Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 35 min
- 1 c. dried lentils, rinsed and drained (I used French puy lentils, hence the Sloppy Josephine. If you say it with a French accent (ZJHO-SA-FEEEEN!), it is quite satisfying)
- 4 c. vegetable broth or water
- 1/2 c. chopped onion
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 T. chili powder
- 2 t. oregano
- 1 14 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1/4 c. (approximately half a can) tomato paste
- 1 T. red wine vinegar
- 1 T. vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 c. all-natural barbecue sauce (Trader Joe’s is my favorite, but Annie’s Organics will work too)
- salt and pepper to taste
- pickle slices
- whole wheat hamburger buns, split and toasted
- Bring broth or water to boil in a medium pot. Add lentils and cook until tender, approximately 30 minutes.
- Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet that has been spritzed with oil or cooking spray, add onion and sauté lightly over medium heat until start to soften and brown.
- Add garlic, chili powder and oregano and sauté for an additional minute or two.
- Add tomato sauce, tomato paste, red wine vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and barbecue sauce.
- Stir to combine and then add lentils.
- Mix thoroughly and season to taste.
- Scoop mixture onto toasted buns and garnish with pickles.